Friday, November 19, 2004

Some poems I've written

This is the first poem I ever wrote. At age 12, I was a very "creative" kid. Constantly in my own world.

Big Blue Frog
I am a big blue frog
I am a big blue frog
I can fly though I don’t know whyI am a big blue frog

1982


This is a more recent poem, written just this year.
History

I do not want to be famous
Most men like me
Become famous by dying.
Most men, most people who think and act like me
Find their vindication in the grave

I do not want my name to go down in history
If they could:
Kill Fred
Kill George
Kill Medgar
Kill Malcolm
Kill Martin
Kill Bobby
Kill Jack

If they could kill Diallo-make his young body absorb
17/41 hot bullets
And not even taste Justice

Then what will they do for me?
When I do join my voice to that of those brave men And Demand Justice and Righteousness?
What will happen to me?

I want Peace
I want Justice
I want Love
I demand Freedom
I do not want to be famous
I do not want my name to go down in History
Covered in Blood
Mine or
my enemies’
Blood
Is just as precious
As my own
His dreams for his children
Just as strong as my own

His pain just as profound
His prayers just as fervent
His God just as real

If my name does go down in History
I wish it to be covered in Love
And flowers
From my enemies and Friends

I want to die of old age
Fighting for justice
Living as a free man
Believing in Love.
2004

I wrote this in 2000. When I was just getting to know my son and father again.

Five shots

I made sure I was fully loaded
Before I left to go and see him
The first time in a long while
I loaded all five shots carefully and left
When I saw him
I shot fast and all five shots
Caught him
Center mass
Knocked his ass right over
One in the head
Two in the heart
Another in the lungs
One in the gut
All five shots caught him
Center mass
Knocked his ass right over
I Love you daddy always
1 2 3 4 5
five shots

dedicated to my son Aaron and my father Jackie.

That's it for today.
-M

No comments: