Thursday, February 23, 2006

more poetry


Loot and Burn (written in the aftermath of the LA riots)

Don’t wonder why we loot and burn
Where else do we have to turn?
You have shown us that you clearly do not care.
The man will never share what we built and he stole.
He beats us to try and show us our role.

The Great White Father
The original looter, OG Thief
But you don’t bother to tell this truth
Or promote that belief
So my children will inherit nothing but my grief

The Great White Father came in his ships, nothing but poisonous lies dripping from his filthy lips.
Took us from our land
Dragged us kicking and screaming across the sand
Brought my people to this distant and foreign land
Seemingly out of Gods’ Sight and Hand

500 years of busting my ass for you.
Don’t tell me it isn’t true, a black man was on Columbus squad in 1492
Who raised those babies? Who built those roads?
I know the stories tho’ they’re seldom told.

Don’t ask me why I loot and burn
Dammit, it’s been my turn
Whatever happened to 40 acres and a mule?
Instead we got nothing, but treated like the white mans’ throwaway tool

The only language he ever understood was violence
Any other way we tried was greeted with dead silence

Yeah, there’s more of them than there are of us.
But the Bible teaches that little David beat Goliath.
He was a mighty giant and yes, he fell.
Ours shall be a similar tale.

So, I’m taking what I need and I know I desire.
And I’m taking it just like you did, by force and with fire.
Don’t try to compare a bottle of milk or a lousy bag of rice,
To what we lost,
500 irretrievable years of our lives.

No comments: