Thursday, March 30, 2006

Mission High School

I was at Mission High yesterday. I got to be the prerequisite "adult voice of reason" at a youth talent show. It really was great. My job, along with WWS magazine and Emaculent entertainment put on a High School Talent show, along with HoodStarz and Mistah FAB. I know that when I walked up to the podium, the youth (along with some of the judges, parents and teachers) were like "who is this nigga in a dashiki and suit jacket?" But once I got started, I went some other place, I really felt as if I was standing outside my body and listening to someone else. I was being used, I had notes that I followed, but I had prayed before that He give me something to touch these youth, to really get to their hearts, and I think I did.
It felt great. I opened with a poem "History" and I closed with "Freedom Fighter"
I want to do as much of that kind of stuff as I can. I met some people there, I think good things will come out of it.

I can never get past how indredibly beautiful it is to see young people happy and dancing. There was a few times when the kids just mobbed the stage, going dumb, getting hyphy, and generally just dancing their asses off. These kids mean mug so much always walking around looking unhappy, any time we can get them to smile and just be kids is like gold.

Power to those who bring Peace to the kids

No comments: