Monday, June 12, 2006

Ask

And you shall receive. I have been going through some drama. But you know what? I am managing to stay ahead of a lot of craziness and do well.
I feel a shift has happened inside. My focus is now where it should be-on making a life for my family, not just doing what I want to make me feel good.
It just so happened that a lot of the things I wanted to do that made me feel good were good things for me to do anyway. Many of the things I liked to do were not good for anyone.
It's part of growing up.

A while ago I had this idea to start a youth serving organization and just now, I am getting it off the ground. We are calling it "The East Palo Alto Unity Project" and I have managed to raise a little bit of money for it. I am ecstatic right now because someone decided that an idea that I had is worth investing their money in. I believe that this organization is going to positively impact the lives of everyone who gets involved.

The goal of the org is to build leadership from the grassroots right here in EPA. There are other organizations who do this, LTA, YCS, and they do a great job. I want to leverage the work they do, and add on.
Our program has three components
1 Bi Weekly Dinners
Twice a month, the EPAUnity Project community will meet for a sit down dinner. At these dinners participants will be engaged in discussion about topics that are relevant to them.
2 Community Service
Every month, the participants will work on either an ongoing community project or a small weekend project. All of the CS projects will be identified, planned and executed by the youth with support from adults.
3 Travel
In the Summer, my goal is to take the participants to Costa Rica for 6 weeks of cultural excahnge, Spanish Immersion Learning and to implement a community service project.

No comments: