Thursday, July 13, 2006

Honor

Money.Power.Respect. That's the key to life.
Or so says Lil Kim. I disagree. At least those are not the keys to mine. Certainly they are important, but not the only or most important things. The problem is that too many people think that way. Where do honor, faith, love and loyalty fit in? I have been working with kids for a while now, long enough to feel like a seasoned veteran, but not long enough to feel like I know what's going on all the time. Who is teaching our kids to be honorable, faithful, loving and loyal? I have always believed in honor, and it is one of my core values. I've had some lapses, certainly, but I believe there is a lot to be said for living a life where money is not placed at the center of life.
To be honorable is to be trustworthy, a person who will "walk the talk." To be honorable is to be a person who will do the right thing, even when no one is looking or no one is there to congratulate you. I am very concerned that in this materialist, self centered, godless culture that we live in, that this value is not being transmitted to our kids.

I was going to write more, but really there's not much more to say.
Love,
M

No comments: