Monday, July 24, 2006

I do it for the kids

I've just spent the last two weekends in the presence of some really brilliant people. Most of them were under the age of 20. You know how you just do some things and then when you finish, you realize that you've grown? Well that's what this past weekend and the weekend before last were like.
I won't even get into it here, it's too big for me to process just yet. But I will tell you this; I am doing exactly what I am supposed to be doing with my life. This weekend was the proof. That is not to say that I don't have big improvements to make or that I have all my shit together.
But I will say this, I know that I am living my purpose.

Some Highlights:

Having my daughter there with me.
Two of the kids playing a totally impromptu tribute one on drums and the other on the piano to a departed elder Baba Sakisa Thompson.
At the end of camp, during their final proposals-having my kids proposal for 2.2 million dollars funded by the mock City Council. They had the smallest commission with only two people.

The possibility walks.
Reuniting with my friend Muriithi Alafia, after years and years of just talking on the phone.
I will revisit all this, I just need some time to get it all straight in my head.

God Bless the kids.

No comments: