Friday, January 13, 2006

fiction off the top of my head

It's late, later than I like to be awake but for some reason, I can't sleep. I close my eyes, concentrate on just the sound of my breath, the rise and fall of my chest and the beat of my heart. My eyes are closed, and my mind is quiet, but sleep will not come. My body is restless.

I'm out of bed now, on the floor doing pushups. 1, 30, 50, rest. Sit ups, 5, 35, 60. Rest. More pushups. 10, 30, 45, 52. More situps. 10, 20, 40 more, rest. 50 Triceps pushups. My body is more tired. What time is it now? 11:35.
In the hallway, I can hear my daughter stirring around in her bed. She sleeps wild, just like I used to, and like her brother does. This new apartment is the first time that I have been able to give her her own space. At two and a half, she still manages to sneak into my room most mornings.

The kitchen is warm, the beautiful O'Keefe and Merritt stove that I bought in Oakland keeps it that way. I still haven't painted this room, even though I bought the paint six weeks ago. Moving around in this place, it just now has started to feel like my home. In a few more months, my son will be here and for the first time, both of my children will live with me. I am a single dad, making it, just barely, but still making it.

11:45 my cell phone is ringing. The hardwood floors feel good under my feet. I grab the phone by the fourth ring. "Hey..is it too late?" I didn't check the caller ID but I knew who it was, even before I picked up the phone.
"No, never for you. What's up?"
"How is she? Asleep?"
"Knocked out. What's up with you?"
"I'm at the airport, United. Come and get me."
Dial tone

I'd moved to the Northwest in pursuit of a better standard of living. The Bay Area was just too expensive. I'd found a job here that I liked and been able to buy a house. It was nice, right in the city, not too far from work and school. My daughter was in an onsite Daycare, and I checked in on her several times a day. I had left behind in California, a lot of history, friends and a woman I loved. Now she was here, to see me, unexpected, uninvited but totally welcome.

No comments: