Monday, January 09, 2006

Who speaks for the youth?

I can not claim to speak in their voices, or with their passion for the causes which they adopt as their own. I can say that they are not being listened to, not being paid attention to and that they should be or we will reap the whirlwind of their dissatisfaction. It is their world that we are holding for them. I heard a woman say the other day, that she has an organization, 7 Generations. Her organization, http://www.7generations.org/About%20Us/aboutUs.html when they are making decisions, keeps in mind what the possible impacts are or could be of that decision 7 generations down the line. Are we taking that same care when we make decisions about our lives today? No. I'm not. That's asking me to think 200 years in the future. Who the hell knows where my family will be in 200 years? I should be thinking that way though. I'll make that shift and start telling other people. You do the same. We should be able to shift the consciousness of the whole society if we do this the right way. You know, like "Pay it Forward".

The Beautiful Young People
It is my job to love and take care of the youth in my community. I have been a teacher, a counselor, an after school program director. I have several years of solid experience dealing with not only East Palo Alto Youth, but young people from around this nation and the entire world. One of the most important lessons that I have learned is sincerity. I may not always have the best words, or the right words, but young people that I work with know that my heart is absolutley in the right place. That I am on their side, and that I love them. So many people reached out to me when I was a young man, if for no other reason than payback, I owe it to my kids to give them the chances and exposure that was given to me. I was going to write more, but I lost the moment.
I'll close by saying that we absolutely must believe in our youth, and make the social investments to prove to them that we care, because as it stands, I don't think that we show them that at all.
All Power to the People

No comments: