Monday, January 23, 2006

What I learned today

Everyday I teach, I hold a "check in" session with my students. This is the time when we transition from the world outside of class to the practices of thinking and working on improving our skills. One of the questions we answer as a class is "what did you learn today?" the expectation is that everyday, my students will have gained something valuable from school or life. Anyway, today I have my first class and I finally learned something that my friends have been telling me for years. I learned that you don't always have to show your feelings. I wear my feelings on my sleeve, meaning that usually if I don't vocalize it, you can look on my face and tell how I'm feeling. Recently, I've been going through some really emotionally rigorous times. The way I used to cope with stuff like this would be to act out, talk to all my friends, cry, do a bunch of talking and stuff. All of the coping mechanisms I learned from my mom, when I would see her deal with her problems.
But none of that behavior has changed my circumstances. What I have learned to do is to think about what is going on and then act to solve the issue. It's a simple shift, nothing big outwardly. I just decided that being active about whatever my problems are ultimately is going to make me more successful and happy. It's a more inward looking, self based solution. I look to myself first whereas before I didn't. I am more self sufficient, and I guess independent. I don't like hearing from anyone that I am co dependent, or unstable, or anything like that.
I learned that even if something really hurts, sometimes it's best just to go through it, just feel the pain, instead of avoiding it. I have been the root cause of a lot of other peoples' pain, if I feel some of the pain that I have put others through, it is only right. Maybe then, I will learn some other valuable lessons.
It's easy to get to me, to make me feel bad about somethings, I make it easy because I put my vulnerabilities out there. I've learned that I have to be very selective about who I allow to be close.
All Power to The People and Peace to the Peaceful

No comments: