Monday, April 03, 2006

Congresswoman McKinney is being assaulted again

The media is a trip. Maybe it's just me and my paranoid self, seeing as I am a Black Man living in America at a time when the media has gone from being semi independent to the propagandist arm of the US government. One of the things I teach in my class is media literacy, the ability to look at and analyze the media.
Well today I turn my eye on the Associated Press and the article today on Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney, a Democrat from Georgia. Apparently, she was trying to enter the building and a Capitol Police Officer didn't recognize her, and attempted to detain her, somehow he got punched. First of all, how he didn't know who she was is beyond me. There are not a lot of Black women in Congress, so it's not like she blended into the crowd. I don't know, maybe it was a new cop. According to what I read, she wasn't wearing her pin, but she showed her Congressional ID. After that, the cop still tried to search her, and she refused. In any case, the sister did a Pac and unloaded on the cop when he tried to detain her. That's what I'm talking about! Sister Cynthia obviously is not a punk! I do not advocate socking up cops, but I also don't believe in us letting the POLICE intimidate us. She stood up for herself and now the media is trying to make her look crazy.
I am sure this is not the first time that a legislator has had a problem with the Capitol police, the issue is why isn't the cop being questioned? Why is so much attention being paid to Cynthia McKinney when we have all these Republican Congressional criminals? Why is it news that she wears an Afro and that she used to have cornrows? What about where she stands on the issues of the day? What do her constituents think?
In any case,
Power to the Peaceful


http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060403/ap_on_go_co/mckinney_scuffle

No comments: