Sunday, April 09, 2006

More to love

I went to my (Queen Mother) Aunt Marys' memorial service. She was an amazing woman. I am thankful for her effect on my life.
I will write more about the ceremony tommorrow or the next day. But I will say that without her I would not know how to love my people as much as I do. She taught me to love my people, no matter what.
And I am going to be honest here folks, loving my people is not an option, but we are in crisis and it is tough to always be there for anyone who is in crisis all the damn time! That's what it is though.
In any case, her celebration was lovely, my daughter met three of her cousins that she had not ever seen, Lexis, Lyric and Lena. My daughters name is Laila. I swear we did not plan that, it's just L names are in with the Hoover clan these days. Lena and Lyric are fraternal twins but they all have that big ass Hoover head, so all of the girls look somewhat alike.

Big Blue Frog-my First Poem
I am a big blue frog
I am a big blue frog
I can fly though I don’t know why
I am a big blue frog.



Bleed
We Bad
Ruffle feathers like bad weather
We young stormclouds
Dark on the horizon
Bad news
Niggas want to rumble real bad
Our blood be boiling
Be wanting to
Lock hands
Put it on somebody
We really want to fuck some stuff up
But what is that gon’ do?
How we gon’ handle this?
Blood gon’ be shed
Somebody going to jail
And Somebody else going to the hospital
Stab wounds, gunshots, take a long time to heal
But not as long as our spirits will take
Spirits will long remember
What these feet and fists feel like
Balled up made hard for contact against soft flesh
We will long remember what it feels like to have stomach folded over feet
Head buzzing
Blood in our mouths
Ears and face hot
So damn hot
Our spirits will not forget
This violence, this basic betrayal
Of what is best about us
Why we forgot how to come back from the place
Where our words don’t work
So we ride back to the words on one anothers’ pain
And so it goes:
“Bleed nigga bleed! Bleed nigga, nigga bleed! Nigga Bleed till you and I die. Nigga bleed till we die. Nigga bleed”
Nigga, I want you to bleed for me,
Your blood sacrifice is going to be my penance,
You on the cross me for me and everybody like me.
I need to forget so I am going to make you bleedI am going to take it out on your flesh
Until I cant shoot no more
Until I can’t beat you no more
Until you can’t breathe no more

No comments: