Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Rape

So some people got arrested in the Duke University rape scandal. I have to say that I don't know what happened, but clearly something messed up happened. In all the years that I have been watching the news and taking interest in things like this, I don't think I've seen this much energy dedicated to defending alleged rapists in the press. The coach resigned. The University canceled the season. Clearly something was terribly wrong.
I have to ask the obvious question: If it was a black basketball team and a white stripper said that she got raped, what would the response look like?

My experience tells me that America would be in an uproar. I know that the value of Black Life in the United States and the world is low. We don't as a people, seem to even value ourselves very much, so how can we expect anyone else to? What will it take for us to see ourselves and one another as the precious, irreplaceable beings that we are?

No comments: