Wednesday, April 19, 2006

My students are off the hook!

I'm in my office, hiding right now. These kids are really on one today. I know, it's sunny, the weather is beautiful, they're beautiful, sap is rising, birds are singing, whatever! These kids are really acting like Babays kids....smoking, cursing, shooting dice....all the things they know that they're not supposed to do here.
I'm not on one for no reason, I tell my kids that people have the wrong impression of them, and that they have to be in charge of managing what they do. They can't, we can't hope to control what people think of us, but we can decide to not do things that will make people think ill of us.

Maybe a lot of it is the way I was raised and the way I was as a young person. The last thing I wanted people to think of me is that I was up to no good, or a criminal or anything like that. For a little while, I was up to no good, and that kind of attention was really unwelcome. So part of me is saying to them "You're stupid. Why are you calling all this attention to yourself?" Another part of me is thinking "Damn kids! When I was younger, we would have never (fill in the blanks)" and then another part of the dialogue is "people are going to look at you and think that you are less than amazing, beautiful, intelligent and wonderful and they are going to not treat you well."
So what am I to do?

No comments: